I'm happy to report to you that our television show, "The Awful Truth," has just been nominated for a Prime Time Emmy Award as "Outstanding Non Fiction Series." This is our 3rd Emmy nomination in as many seasons as we've been allowed on TV. The first two were for "TV Nation" (and one of those years we actually won).
The credit for this honor goes to our great staff and crew who often put themselves at great risk to bring you these stories. Thanks to all of them and to Bravo for their support.
The awards will be announced in Pasadena on August 28th. The other nominees include two PBS series (American Experience" and "American Masters"), "Biography" on A & E, and our lead-in show on Bravo, "Inside the Actors Studio." Louie Bruno and Sal have already been dispatched.
"The Awful Truth" is now past the half-way mark in its "encore run" on Bravo on Sundays at 9pmET/10pmPT. The ratings are up 50%.
******************************THIS JUST IN*********************************
As I was writing this letter, I looked on the TV screen and saw the photo of the man who shot the people at the Jewish Community Center in L.A. He is the same man we filmed in our "Love Night" segment on TV Nation in 1995. His name is Buford Furrow.
In this segment, we went to a Nazi/Klan/Skinhead "convention" in Idaho. We took a group of young dancers to dance to Motown songs outside their compound. It was perhaps the scariest segment we ever filmed for the show. At one point, the Nazis, including Furrow, came down the road toward the young girls with "sieg heil!" salutes and headbutted our camera.
Buford Furrow, the man who has admitted to the L.A. shootings, was the first Nazi we encountered at the entrance to the gathering. He refused to let our reporter into the compound because he "didn't look white." Oddly, he was one of the more "mild-mannered" Nazis we shot that weekend.
It was shocking to see him on the screen just seconds ago. I will put that segment on our web site later today so you can log on to see and hear Mr. Furrow. http://www.michaelmoore.com
I have spent the first half of the summer doing an experimental show on Channel 4 in the UK. It's live from New York at 11:30pm British time. Channel 4 gave me this time these past six weeks because I wanted to try something new. Part "TV Nation," part send-up of the traditional late night show, we did timely pieces on the news of the week. My sidekicks included my buddy, Ben Hamper ("Rivethead"), and "Nigel," and illegal alien from England who wore a Queen Ellizabeth mask to conceal his idenity form the INS.
Well, at the risk of getting lots of letters wanting to know how you can see this thing (you can't, it's only on in the British Isles), I promise you that, like "The Awful Truth," these shows will soon find their way to home video.
Here are some of the things we did on the show:
1) We made a random call to a real estate agent in Belgrade and, for $3,300, I became a Serbian land owner (property values had plummeted for some reason) and tried to put a Starbucks on it;
2) We sent a group of Afican Americans to a New York Police station to clean the windshields of the patrol cars the day a judge found a police officer innocent after he shot a man who was using a squeegee on his window;
3) Staged a concert in front of Wal Mart featuring the music form albums banned by Wal Mart (Sheryl Crow, Beck, John Mellencamp) because Wal Mart, the largest seller of CD's in the country, disapproves of certain lyrics, cover art or political points of view expressed on the albums;
4) We took the "Poorest Man in the World" (there was actually a one-billion way tie) to congratulate the "Richest Man in the World," Bill Gates, the week his net worth topped $100 billion;
5) We conducted a telethon for General Augusto Pinochet, who is being held by the British awaiting extradition to Spain to be tried as a mass murderer. We raised a total of 224 pounds for the former dictator which will get him a change of underwear and upgrade him from cargo to first-class on his trip to Madrid. There's lots more, and the good news is we can't wait to get started on a new season of "The Awful Truth."
March 23rd, 2013
This evening is going be a big moment in turning our country around on the issue of gun violence. That's why I desperately want you ...
March 21st, 2013
I am hosting a nationwide series of house parties this Saturday night where tens of thousands of people will gather together in living rooms to ...
March 15th, 2013
The response to my Newtown letter this week has been overwhelming. It is so very clear to everyone that the majority of Americans have had ...
March 13th, 2013
The year was 1955. Emmett Till was a young African American boy from Chicago visiting relatives in Mississippi. One day Emmett was seen "flirting" with ...
February 26th, 2013
Thanks to everyone for bearing with me as I spend so much time on what happened to Emad Burnat. It's important to me because he's ...
February 26th, 2013
On Tuesday, February 19th, Emad Burnat, the Palestianian co-director of the Oscar-nominated documentary '5 Broken Cameras,' was detained with his wife and son at Los ...
February 20th, 2013
Last night was the Motion Picture Academy-sponsored dinner in Beverly Hills honoring the directors and producers of this year's five nominated films for Best Documentary. ...
September 11th, 2010
OpenMike 9/11/10 Michael Moore's daily blog I am opposed to the building of the "mosque" two blocks from Ground Zero. I want it built on ...
December 14th, 2010
Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from me stating that ...
May 12th, 2011
"The Nazis killed tens of MILLIONS. They got a trial. Why? Because we're not like them. We're Americans. We roll different." – Michael Moore in ...
November 22nd, 2011
This past weekend I participated in a four-hour meeting of Occupy Wall Street activists whose job it is to come up with the vision and ...
September 22nd, 2011
I encourage everyone I know to never travel to Georgia, never buy anything made in Georgia, to never do business in Georgia. I will ask ...
December 16th, 2010
Dear Swedish Government: Hi there -- or as you all say, Hallå! You know, all of us here in the U.S. love your country. Your ...
November 2nd, 2010
This letter contains (almost) no criticisms of how the Democrats have brought this day of reckoning upon themselves. That -- and where to go from ...