Tia Lessin and Carl Deal
Tia Lessin and Carl Deal are co-directors of 'Citizen Koch' and the Oscar-nominated 'Trouble the Water'
In just four days, more than 2100 backers across the country stepped up and made their voices heard through our kickstarter campaign to ensure our film “Citizen Koch” is not silenced by the money and influence of a billionaire extremist. We are so blown away by this outpouring of support.
We asked backers to let us know why they care about this campaign – “why do you want to see “Citizen Koch” get out in the world? What moved you to make your pledge?”
We’ve been touched and inspired by the replies – in both the comments section and in direct messages to us – and wanted to share some with all of you:
- We didn’t endure a bloody revolution, bother with a Declaration of Independence, write a Constitution only to see our rights stripped because we live in a country that coddles the 1%, the new aristocracy. I also want to send a message to PBS, a non-profit I have supported for over 30 years, that this will not stand. At what cost credibility? I stand with Elsewhere Films.
- I supported this project because it is so very personal to me. I am from Madison and attended the protests. I am done with our state and country being controlled by private companies and not the people. This story needs to be heard and heard and heard.... Thank you for making the film.
- I supported this project because I do not believe in censorship or that the power of the almightly dollar trumps all.
- Because I am appalled at the way our democracy is destroying the middle class. Because I know kids who can't find jobs. Because I believe in the power of film to explore truths less obvious to the often incorrect "common knowledge." Because when PBS, which I RELY ON to tell the other side, has now sold out to a special [stinking rich] interest…I'm heartened by the response to your campaign. It means we're not alone!
- I learned the reason for supporting this project when I was six years old, from someone who said it much better than I ever could:Sometimes when the fight begins, I think I'll let the dragons win. But then again, perhaps I won't. Because they're dragons. And I don't. --A.A. Milne
- It is time for all of us to re-engage in our democratic process and use our voices and votes to change the policies that allow our democracy to be undermined. This documentary promises to be an excellent tool to start an honest conversation. I can't wait to see the film!
- The people with all the money don't get to make all the rules. I am grateful for the opportunity to stand up--to stand together--in a community of people to make sure that this important story is told. Thank you Carl and Tia for making this film, and for inviting all of us to participate in getting it before the public. This is the best $ I'll spend all month.
- You asked for why we are supporting your project. I assume for the same reason you are making it. Monied interests taking over our nation. I think your throw back to Citizen Cain and Hurst are spot on and a similar use of money to thwart democracy is occurring again. Any efforts to shine light on this are Highly American Activities as far as I'm concerned.
- Bottom line for me with this project is bringing awareness to as many as possible that the fourth estate has and is being compromised by money...
We can't thank all of the Citizen Koch backers enough for this support. Together we can keep the momentum going!
Our very best,
Tia & Carl
April 22nd, 2014
FRANCIS RICHARD MOORE, 92, of FLINT/DAVISON, MI Passed away on Saturday, April 19, 2014, in Escondido, CAHe was Frank to all who knew and loved him, and there were many. ...
January 28th, 2014
In the State of the Union address tonight, President Obama is going to call for a national minimum wage of $10.10. Then in their response ...
January 21st, 2014
My New Year's Day op-ed in the New York Times seems to have kickstarted a discussion about how to make Obamacare better. I hope you ...
December 18th, 2013
This morning it was announced by the Library of Congress and the National Film Preservation Board that my first film, 'Roger & Me', has been ...
December 14th, 2013
[View the story "Michael Moore Tweets on Eve of Newtown Anniversay" on Storify]
November 9th, 2013
Click here for this week's full schedule for the State Theatre and Bijou by the Bay in Traverse City, Michigan. The day has arrived. For ...
September 10th, 2013
[View the story "John Kerry's Accidental Diplomacy" on Storify]
September 11th, 2010
OpenMike 9/11/10 Michael Moore's daily blog I am opposed to the building of the "mosque" two blocks from Ground Zero. I want it built on ...
December 14th, 2010
Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from me stating that ...
May 12th, 2011
"The Nazis killed tens of MILLIONS. They got a trial. Why? Because we're not like them. We're Americans. We roll different." – Michael Moore in ...
November 22nd, 2011
This past weekend I participated in a four-hour meeting of Occupy Wall Street activists whose job it is to come up with the vision and ...
September 22nd, 2011
I encourage everyone I know to never travel to Georgia, never buy anything made in Georgia, to never do business in Georgia. I will ask ...
December 16th, 2010
Dear Swedish Government: Hi there -- or as you all say, Hallå! You know, all of us here in the U.S. love your country. Your ...
November 2nd, 2010
This letter contains (almost) no criticisms of how the Democrats have brought this day of reckoning upon themselves. That -- and where to go from ...